Monday, July 20, 2009

Leonard Cohen

We were invited to a friend's home for dinner yesterday. It was a beautiful day. Warm air, bright sun, comfortable breeze...all the makings of a perfect summer day. We arrived at about 5:15 or so and when we got there, Leonard Cohen was playing on the stereo.

Now in that moment Leonard Cohen was perfect. Subtle, and relaxed, quiet...his voice is all of those things. However, I don't find Mr. Cohen all that pleasing to listen to on a regular basis. He is an amazing song-writer, and one of his songs "Hallelujah" is one of the most-covered songs of all time. He knows what he is doing in that department for sure. But I am pretty sure that guy has never had a second of voice lessons. And that always made me wonder....

Until someone brought it to my attention that Cohen only started singing and making albums to help fund his writing career. Somehow for me, that changed my opinion about him and his voice. He never really wanted to be a celebrity. It sort of fell upon him rather than him seeking it out....

I am not sure if I am a Cohen fan for sure, but I like to think that knowing about an artist helps to form your opinion about him/her a little better.

Cheers,
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment